Court documents made public Wednesday morning detail why a 23-year-old Midlands man was kidnapped and held for six days in North Carolina before law enforcement officers rescued him Tuesday morning 160 miles from home.
In an affidavit supporting the arrest of three alleged Mexican drug cartel members who were allegedly involved in the scheme, FBI Special Agent Luke Davis says the victim and his father had not been able to secure payment for 200 pounds of marijuana they had delivered to a customer for a Mexican drug trafficking organization several months ago.
Juan Manuel Fuentes-Morales, Ruben Caja-Rangel and Luis Castro Villeda have been taken into custody and charged with conspiracy to kidnap, abduct, carry away and hold a person for ransom.
According to the affidavit, the three men and others are members of an unnamed Mexican drug trafficking organization.
During the course of the investigation into the disappearance of the unidentified man from St. Matthews, agents learned that the victim and his father work for the drug trafficking organization, delivering cocaine, marijuana and money in locations in South Carolina and North Carolina, the affidavit stated.
The victim’s father told agents the victim had delivered $200,000 worth of marijuana to an unidentified customer who didn’t have the money to pay. According to the agent, the victim had “fronted” the pot to the customer, expecting payment at a later date. The customer never made the payment.
The cartel held the victim and his father responsible for the $200,000 loss, according to the affidavit. When the victim and his father could not pay the debt, the victim allegedly stopped working for the organization.
The affidavit notes it is “unclear at this point whether or not [victim] was actually ripped off as described, or whether [father] and [victim] actually stole the marijuana themselves…”
On July 9, the victim was supposed to pick up a friend and co-worker from a home in the St. Matthews area. When the victim never made it to the home, the victim’s fiancee got worried and began to search for him.
The fiancee found the victim’s truck parked in a neighbor’s yard still running. A neighbor said he had noticed cars in the driveway earlier in the day and when he when to see who it was, he saw a black vehicle speed away.
Later that day, the Calhoun County Sheriff’s Office was notified the victim was missing.
Hours after the victim went missing, the fiancee received a call from an unidentified hostage taker, who was calling from Mexico. The hostage taker told the fiancee the victim was with him and was unharmed.
He said he would call back in 24 hours and advised he wanted the victim’s father to answer the phone.
Agents determined that the same phone in Mexico had been used to call a telephone in North Carolina. A federal judge later signed an order to tap that phone.
Agents believed Juan Manuel Fuentes-Morales was using that phone to communicate with the cartel in Mexico, according to the affidavit.
Between July 10 and July 15, the hostage takers placed 13 additional calls to the victim’s fiancee’s phone. According to the affidavit, the victim’s father spoke to the hostage takers each time.
Agents listened and recorded the calls which revealed the hostage takers demanded ransom amounts ranging from $100,000 to $400,000 and the return of the 200 pounds of marijuana the victim had allegedly lost.
During the negotiations, the victim’s father asked the hostage takers to provide proof that his son was still alive. Cell phone records show Fuentes-Morales traveled to a second location to presumably speak with the victim to ask a “proof of life” question, the affidavit states.
On July 14, agents executed a search warrant at an address in Garland, North Carolina. Agents located Fuentes-Morales there.
Fuentes-Morales denied knowing anything about a kidnapping. He told agents he bought two cell phones from Walmart for an unknown man. Fuentes-Morales said the unidentified man had made several calls and then gave him the phone to keep.
On July 15 at approximately 5 a.m., agents executed a search warrant at an address in South Roseboro, North Carolina and found the victim chained and blindfolded. Ruben Ceja-Rangel and Luis Castro Villeda were holding him hostage, according to the affidavit.
When interviewed, the victim said he was abducted by gunpoint. He also told agents that duringcaptivity, he found a knife and tried to escape by cutting off his restraints, the affidavit states. He said Fuentes-Morales hit him in the jaw and pointed a gun at his head when he was found to be trying to escape.
Juan Manuel Fuentes-Morales, Ruben Ceja-Rangel, Luis Castro Villeda appeared in federal court in Raleigh on Wednesday.
The victim was treated and returned to his family. He is not in custody.
Copyright 2014 WIS. All rights reserved.
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service — if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.