- Monkia Ryans, 24, allegedly tried to smuggle the marijuana inside a Bible
- Dropped the book off at the jail and asked for it to be given to an inmate
- Jail supervisor reported that the Bible didn’t look or feel right
- Found three marijuana cigarettes and tobacco stashed inside the binding
- She was arrested on Sunday reportedly hiding in a car in the jail’s car park
Imogen Calderwood For Mailonline
08:29 EST, 11 August 2015
09:28 EST, 11 August 2015
Under arrest: Monkia Ryans, 24, was arrested after attempting to smuggle drugs, hidden in a Bible, to an inmate at a South Carolina jail
A woman has been arrested for trying to smuggle marijuana into a South Carolina jail, hidden inside a Bible.
Monkia Ryans, 24, from Jonesville, allegedly stashed three marijuana cigarettes inside the Bible’s binding.
She then dropped the book off at the Union County Jail on Friday, asking for it to be delivered to an inmate.
But the jail supervisor was suspicious of the book, which he thought didn’t feel or look right.
After having it scanned, the supervisor discovered loose tobacco, pieces of white paper and the three marijuana cigarettes hidden inside.
Authorities reported that a piece of paper inside the book had Ms Ryan’s name written on it.
She was arrested on Sunday when she was allegedly spotted hiding in a car in the jail parking lot during visiting hours, according to police.
She has been charged with furnishing prisoners with drugs.
Stash: Police reported that three marijuana cigarettes were found hidden in the Bible’s binding, along with tobacco and some white pieces of paper
This entry passed through the Full-Text RSS service – if this is your content and you’re reading it on someone else’s site, please read the FAQ at fivefilters.org/content-only/faq.php#publishers.